With the COVID-19 pandemic hitting hard, the world has come to a standstill. So, while you are at home, why not make the most of this home quarantine? How about waking up the master chef in you?
Here are five easy and healthy Indian recipes for treating your taste buds.
1. Besan Ka Cheela
Besan ka cheela is a North Indian savory made from the goodness of chickpea flour. Why “goodness”? This healthy snack choice has more good fat than whole wheat flour. Additionally, it is rich in potassium, iron, protein, B-6, magnesium, and zero cholesterol.
1 cup besan (gram flour), ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds), 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala, salt to taste, 1 small green chilli chopped, ¼ cup tomato finely chopped, 1/3 cup onion finely chopped, ¼ cup spinach (palak) finely chopped, ¼ cup capsicum (green bell pepper) finely chopped, ¼ cup carrot grated, 2 tablespoons cilantro or coriander leaves finely chopped, ¼ cup plain yoghurt, 1 ½ cups water, oil to shallow fry cheela
For the batter
- Step 1: Take the besan in a bowl and add turmeric powder, garam masala, carom seeds, coriander powder, red chilli powder, and salt. Mix the ingredients well.
- Step 2: Now, add the vegetables to this mixture and mix well.
- Step 3: Add yoghurt and a little water.
- Step 4: Stir well to make a lump-free batter. Make sure that the batter is runny. Therefore, adjust the consistency accordingly.
For the cheela
- Step 1: Take a tawa and put it on medium heat.
- Step 2: Pour two spoons of oil and let it heat.
- Step 3: Pour in a ladleful of batter and spread it evenly to make a round shape.
- Step 4: Let the cheela sit and get cooked for around two minutes or till it is golden brown.
- Step 5: Flip the cheela and drizzle some more oil to cook on the other side.
- Step 6: When both sides are cooled, plate it, and serve hot with ketchup or chutney.
2. Atte Ka Halwa
Atte ka halwa is a popular North Indian dessert recipe that strongly resembles khara prasad or kada prasad offered in the Gurudwaras. In India, it is mostly prepared for festivals and special occasions.
1 cup whole wheat flour, 3 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup ghee
For the halwa
- Step 1: Set the pan on medium flame and pour the ghee.
- Step 2: When the ghee is medium hot, add the whole wheat flour.
- Step 3: Stir continuously, so there are no lumps.
- Step 4: Keep stirring until the aata turns golden brown, and it begins to separate the ghee.
- Step 5: Turn up the flame and add the water. Remember that the water will get absorbed in a few seconds.
- Step 6: Keep stirring to make sure there are no lumps.
- Step 7: When the water is completely absorbed, add the sugar.
- Step 8: Mix it until the sugar is melted and absorbed.
- Step 9: Turn off the heat and add finely chopped almonds and cashews on top. Your bowl of happiness is ready to be served.
Also See: How To Boost The Immune System Naturally
3. Cucumber cups
A refreshing appetizer for mid-summer afternoons. Cucumbers are low in calories and rich in antioxidants. It may lower blood sugar levels and also aid in weight loss.
2 cucumbers, ½ cup diced tomatoes, 3 tbsp feta cheese, ½ tsp oregano, 3 tbsp chopped lettuce
For the cucumber cups
- Step 1: Slice the cucumbers (approx. 7-inch long).
- Step 2: Scoop the flesh of the cucumber to make a cup.
- Step 3: Freeze the cups.
For the filling
- Step 1: Mix the remaining ingredients.
- Step 1: Bring out the cucumber cups from the freezer and place them on a serving tray.
- Step 2: Place the fillings in the cup, and you are ready to serve.
4. Batata Vada
Batata vada is a mouthwatering snack, most popular on the streets of Maharashtra. Basically, these are potato fritters, coated in thick besan batter and deep-fried.
3 medium potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed), 2-3 teaspoons oil, ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon ginger paste, 2 green chillies (chopped finely), 7-8 curry leaves, a pinch hing, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, salt to taste, 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1-2 tablespoons coriander leaves (chopped finely), ½ cup besan, 2 teaspoons rice flour, ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder, ½ cup and 1 tablespoon water, a small pinch baking soda, 1 ½ teaspoon hot oil and oil for deep frying
For the potato mixture
- Step 1: Place the pan on medium heat and add oil.
- Step 2: Add mustard seeds to the hot oil and let them pop.
- Step 3: Add green chillies, ginger paste, and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Step 4: Add hing, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Step 5: Add the mashed potatoes and cook the mixture well for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 6: Turn off the flame. Add coriander leaves, lemon juice and mix them well.
- Step 7: Leave it to cool down completely.
- Step 8: Once cooled, make eight smooth balls.
For the batter
- Step 1: In a bowl, mix the besan and rice flour.
- Step 2: Now add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder, and a pinch of baking soda.
- Step 3: Add water slowly while continuously stirring the batter. It should form a runny consistency with no lumps.
- Step 4: Add 1 ½ teaspoon of hot oil to the batter and mix it well.
For the batata vada
- Step 1: Heat the oil on medium flame.
- Step 2: Once the oil is hot, take one potato ball and coat it with the batter.
- Step 3: Carefully place it in the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown.
- Step 4: Transfer them to a plate and serve hot with coconut chutney.
5. Onion Rings
Crispy deep-fried onion rings will make the perfect snack for your kids during the lockdown. Get your groove on with this tasty snack for the whole family.
1 onion, ½ cup of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1 egg, ¾ cup of milk, 1 teaspoon pepper powder, 1 teaspoon salt, bread crumbs, oil for deep frying
For the rings
- Step 1: Cut the onions into ¼ inch thick rings.
- Step 2: Now, separate the rings from each other. Be careful while doing so.
- Step 3: In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and paprika.
- Step 4: Coat each ring separately in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Step 5: Add milk, egg, and salt to the remaining flour mixture and beat until there are no lumps.
- Step 6: Coat each ring separately in the new mixture.
- Step 7: Coat each onion ring in breadcrumbs
- Step 8: Heat the oil on medium flame and deep fry the rings.
- Step 9: Transfer and serve them with your favorite dip.
So, what are you waiting for? Get the Masterchef to the kitchen while still in quarantine.