Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation to calm the mayhem that is happening around COVID-19. With the number of cases increasing to 173 on March 19, in his speech Modi asked its citizens to stay calm and act responsibly in the hour of need.
He requested his countrymen to follow a ‘Janata Curfew’ on Sunday, March 22nd, 2020 from 7 am to 9 pm.
Narendra Modi has also asked people to stay in their homes, especially kids and senior citizens. “I also urge senior citizens of over 65 years to not step outside their homes in the next few weeks,” the PM said.
He applauded doctors, government officials, police and sanitary workers, who are at the frontline helping people during this time.
On hospital visits, Prime Minister Modi said, “I request the countrymen to avoid visiting hospitals for routine check ups. If you have an appointment for any non-essential surgery, please postpone for one month. We should keep in mind that pressure should not come on hospitals. Postpone elective surgeries by a month, avoid routine check-ups to ease pressure on health services.”
PM Modi: The festival of Navratri is coming in a few days. This is the festival of Shakti worship. India should move ahead with full force. I am making 9 requests for these 9 days.
1. Every Indian should remain alert and aware. Don’t step out unless absolutely necessary.
2. Those between 60-65 years old should stay inside their homes.
3. Follow Janta curfew from 7 am to 9 pm on March 22.
4. Thank service providers by clapping for five minutes at 5 pm on March 22.
5. Avoid going to hospitals for routine check-ups. Postpone elective surgeries.
6. Ask the Finance Minister to take all necessary action under the Economic Response Task Force.
7. Appeal business, high-income groups to not cut salaries of their employees.
8. Citizens should not indulge in hoarding, panic buying.
9. Don’t believe rumours or unverified news.
Popular tweets on PM Modi’s initiative
- Akshay Kumar – An excellent initiative by PM @narendramodi ji…this Sunday, March 22 from 7 am to 9 pm let’s all join in the #JantaCurfew and show the world we are together in this. #SocialDistancing
BJP – प्रधानमंत्री नरेन्द्र मोदी जी ने राष्ट्र के नाम संदेश दिया है कि हम अपने स्वास्थ्य की चिंता करें, और दूसरों के स्वास्थ्य की भी चिंता करें।
उन्होंने 22 मार्च को सुबह 7 बजे से रात 9 बजे तक के लिए जनता कर्फ्यू का बहुत अच्छा सुझाव दिया है: श्री @JPNadda #IndiaFightsCorona
- Shashi Tharoor – I welcome @PMOIndia @narendramodi ‘s call to solidarity at this challenging time. Will support #JanataCurfew while conscious that Sunday is the easiest day to try it. Need more reinforcement of social distancing (incl suspending Parliament) & specific economic relief measures