With the new coronavirus countries around the globe are coming together to understand the symptoms of coronavirus and quarantine people, the World Health Organization has declared it as a global health emergency.
So far, the virus that originated in China’s Wuhan city has taken the lives of more than 3,000 people and infected more than 95,000 worldwide.
The novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) belongs to the coronavirus family that never surfaced in human history. Like other coronaviruses, this one too originated from animals.
Majority of people that were initially infected by the virus, were from the Huanan seafood wholesale market.
It is crucial to note that the virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) does not resemble the coronavirus that causes the common cold.
What are the sources of COVID-19?
Coronaviruses belong to a big family of viruses were some causes common cold in humans, and some others like canine and feline viruses infect animals. But not many cases have emerged where the virus from infected animals have been spread to people.
Just the two, to be more precise – Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) that took away the lives of millions of people world.
According to experts, Covid-19 has flu and cold-like symptoms and is spreading more easily than SARS. There are reports where the virus has spread even before showing symptoms.
And speaking of symptoms, they are mild and the infected person does not even realize that he is sick before something severe happens and that blows out of proportion.
Tell-tell signs include:
- breathing difficulties
- organ failure
Sadly, antibiotics do not work and everything narrows down to the victim’s immune system. Majority of the people who died were already fighting weaker health.
- Older people.
- Diabetic patients.
- People suffering from high blood pressure.
- People with the weaker immune system.
There is no evidence that children are more prone to contracting covid-19, according to the CDC, and that was also the case with the disease′s cousins, SARS and MERS.
- Be careful of symptoms like fever, runny nose and cough.
- Teach them hygiene habits like washing hands frequently, and staying away from other kids who are sick.
- Teach them how to use sanitizers.
- Make sure they were vaccinated properly.
However, there’s no proof of the fact that children are more prone to catch covid-19. But then, there is no harm in going the extra mile and taking preventive measures.
If your kid is sick, keep them at home and give them proper medication.
Vaccination isn’t available yet. Doctors recommend self-care and over-the-counter medication. Also, basic preventive measures include:
- Drinking a lot of water.
- Avoiding public gatherings.
- Staying away from smoky areas.
- Taking proper rest.
- Using air humidifier.
- Washing hands quite often.
- Iran to temporarily free 54000 prisoners as coronavirus spreads.
- WHO News – Here you can find all news releases, statements and speeches about the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Coronavirus cases pass 115,000 worldwide – CNN News
- Live Blog / Coronavirus updates live: WHO declares COVID-19 disease to be a pandemic
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)